1) And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion, and with him a hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2) And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3) And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4) These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5) And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
6) And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7) Saying with a loud voice, Fear god, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come; and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
8) And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
9) And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10) The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever an ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12) Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
13) And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.
14) And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
15) And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
16) And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.
17) And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
18) And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.
19) And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.
20) And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.
1) Lamb- Jesus. cMt. Zion- Jerusalem, this is obviously a future preview since Jesus hasn't returned yet in his second advent. 144,000-Evangelists from verse 7:4. Name on forehead-Counter part to the mark of the beast.
4) These chosen have not only resisted the Anti-Christ, but have also kept pure and avoided illicit sexual practices and desires.
5) No deceit- God's truth is not only spoken by them, there is also no exaggeration or understatement
6) Gospel- Good news of God's plan of salvation for mankind, and entrance to heaven.
7) Fear God and not Anti-Christ. Hour of Judgment- This is the last chance to repent and follow God or remain lost.
8) Babylon- the entire world wide political, economical, religious, secular empire. Fornication- Spiritual adultery against God with the world system.
9-10) If you choose the world's pleasures over God's grace and love, divine judgment is swift and severe.
12) Patience of the saints- The saints are on the earth. This is scriptural proof that all believers are referred to as saints, not just a special few souls chosen by a particular denomination.
13) A blessing upon those who die and choose the Lord over Anti-Christ from this point on forward through the Great Tribulation, perhaps because Raptured Christians will not be around to guide them, so discovering the truth on their own requires a special blessing.
14) The Image of the Lord coming on a cloud before his second advent is similar to other verses that suggest the Rapture of the church is at this point. This would tie in with the Mid-Trib. viewpoint.
15) Harvest is ripe- Time to remove God's people.
16) Reaped- You reap what you sew. God's word has been sewn in the world for thousands of years, it is now time to reap the harvest, which is the good grain.
17-20) Since the battle of Armageddon has not yet taken place, this cannot refer to an enemy slaughter. The blood might represent the blood of the saints and prophets throughout mankind's existence that eventually will overpower the evil one. Despite his physical victories, this might represent a spiritual victory of God.
1) And I saw another sign in Heaven, great an marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.
2) And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire:and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass having the harps of God.
3) And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are Thy ways, thou King of saints.
4) Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy:for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgements are made made manifest.
5) And after that I looked, and behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in Heaven was opened:
6) And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
7) And one of the four beasts gave unto one of the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth forever and ever.
8) And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from His power; and no man was able to enter into the temple till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.
1-8, The 7 bowls of wrath, the culmination of the judgments that will conclude the 7th seal.
2) Victory-because of their faith in Christ, they have overcome the anti-Christ.
3) the 2 songs celebrate 2 redemptive events. 1-deliverence of the Israelites through Moses. 2-deliverence by God of sins through Christ.
5) the ark of the covenant in the holy of holies where God dwells.
7) 7 golden bowls-shallowness of the "bowl" symbolizes how these judgments will be instant rather than slowly poured, drowning those who refuse to drink the cup of salvation which was offered.
1) Then I heard a loud voice from the temple saying to the seven angels, "Go and pour out the bowls of the wrath of God on the Earth"
2) So the first went and poured out his bowl upon the earth, and a foul and loathesome sore came upon the men who had the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image.
3) Then the second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it became blood as of a dead man, and every living creature in the sea died.
4)Then the third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood.
5) And I heard the angel of the waters saying: You are righteous, O Lord, The One who was and who is and who is to be, Because You have judged these things.
6) For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink. For it is their just due."
7) And I heard another from the altar saying, "Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are Your judgements."
8)Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire.
9) And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent and give Him glory.
10) Then the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom became full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues because of the pain.
11) They blasphemd the God of Heavens because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds.
12) Then the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, so that the way of the kings from the east might be prepared.
13) And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
14) For they are the spirits of demons, preforming signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
15) Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest they walk naked and they see his shame.
16) And they gathered them together in the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon.
17) Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple of Heaven, from the throne, saying, "It is done!"
18) And there were noises and thunderings, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake which had not occurred since men were on the earth.
19) Now the city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. And great Babylon was remembered before God, to give her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of His wrath.
20) Then every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
21) And great hail from Heaven fell upon men, and each hailstone about the weight of a talent. Men blasphemed the name of God because of the plague of the hail, since that plague was exceedingly great.
Coming soon Notes on 16
Back to Revelation page