1) Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2)I know thy works, and they labor, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3) And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast labored, and hast not fainted.
4) Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6) But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
8) And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive,
9) I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
12) And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges,
13) I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
14) But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
15) So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
16) Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
18) And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
19) I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
20) Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that women Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21) And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
22) Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23) And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will giveunto every one of you according to your works.
24) But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
25) But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
26) And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27) AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON; AS THE VESSELS OF A POTTER SHALL THEY BE BROKEN TO SHIVERS: even as I received of my Father.
28) And I will give him the morning star.
29) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
2:1-3:22 Each church will receive warnings from Jesus pertaining to their sinful behavior, and admiration for their good works. They will also receive instructions on how they, and their descendants, should repent to avoid God's judgment. Since nobody knows the date of the Lord's return, all generations should heed these warnings.
2:1-7 Ephesus. 1st church planted by Paul. Angel, Role of church leader throughout the ages.
2:2 Gr:-Kopos- deed, sweat, toil, This church exercises great discernment, and knows how to evaluate the spiritual condition of people. "put to test" recognize false doctrine and false teachers
2:3 This church remains faithful to the word of the Lord.
2:4 Passion for God has turned to a cold, mechanical, habit. Perfect analytical knowledge cannot replace true love of God.
2:5 God's judgment will put an end to this church. to lose salvation, lampstand gone, eliminated.
2:6 Nicolations- False Christians who mix pagan traditions into the church. classic structure eventually led to catholicism.
2:7 Overcome- Become a true Christian, Born again.
2:8-11 Smyrna. modern Ismir, Turkey- received mass executions of believers who wouldn't bow to Caesar.
"who was dead"-Jesus persecuted just like them.
2:9 Physically Jewish, but spiritually, pagans who persecute Christians. Only Jews had a synagogue. ref: Romans 2:28, Philippians 3:3, 1 John 2:22-23. God's wrath will be on Jews who deny Jesus is the son of God. The only time "Jew" is mentioned. likened to Satan for refusing to recognize messiah and reporting to Rome.
2:10 This church will always suffer persecution. 10 days- Leviticus 23. Spring feasts fulfilled in Jesus, Fall feasts not fulfilled yet, trumpets dead center of Jewish year, 10 days later trumpets blown represents anti Christ and great tribulation.
2:11 Overcometh- Become a true Christian. 2nd death- Spiritual death after physical death.
2:12-17 Pergamos. mixed paganism with medicine Asklepios was greek god of medicine his snake form is still our medical symbol today
2:13 False religion permeated the city, Living where pagans rule over them. Antipas- 1st century martyr.
2:14 Mixed with pagan practices and traditions.
2:15 Nicolations (see 2:6)
2:16 Repent- the sin of allowing paganism to mix in and not confront it but rather condone it while still preaching God's word. Sword of my mouth- The word of God.
2:17 Overcometh- Become a true Christian.
2:18-29 Thyatira-military town, guarded pergamos, history of warfare
2:19 Last more than first- As time passes, their later deeds will be greater than their earlier deeds.
2:20 Jezebel- Pseudonym for women who seduce church members into pagan acts and idolatry. 1 Timothy 2, 1 Corinthians 14- Women shouldn't hold positions of authority.
2:21- the women full of pride do not repent of their sins of elevating themselves to lofty positions which leads to modern feminist movements.
2:22 sexual fornication and depravity were big, since the bed was the sin instrument, a bed in Hell is their reward. 2:23- future generations did the same, the Lord searches the heart, nothing is hidden, no matter how it appears to the world.
2:24 Depths of Satan- To participate in the depths of evil with the body while thinking it won't hurt the soul. there are those who do not condone these practices.
2:25- continue condemming the practices of the deviants.
2:26 Overcometh- To become a true Christian.
2:27 enforce his will.
2:28 have Christ in his fullness rule our hearts and lives.
2:29 ears to hear- soundly saved