(words of Christ in RED)
1)The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John
2)who bare record of the word of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
3)Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophesy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
4)John to the seven churches which are in Asia: grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven spirits which are before his throne
5)And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness and the first begotten of the dead and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood.
6)And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
7)Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him; and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, amen.
8)I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the almighty.
9)I, John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10)I was in the spirit on the Lords day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.
11)Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
12) And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks.
13)And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14)His head and his hairs were white like wood, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15)And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
16)And he had in his right hand seven stars; and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
17)And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
18)I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
19)Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter,
20)The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
1:1 Shortly come to pass. Since God is outside time and space as we know it, he feels no passage of time. To us it has been 1915 years since this message was given. To God, it is the blink of an eye. Don't let 21st century human translations take away from the true meaning of God's plan. Remember, "a day is as 1000 years, and 1000 years is as a day to the Lord" His servants- This book is written to Followers of Christ.
1:3 Blessing A blessing to the reader who knows these things as opposed to who does not know, leading into the end times.-The time is at hand. The word "time" in the original text refers to "epochs" or "eras", letting us know that this is the next great event in God's redemptive plan. Being delayed so long lets others question the validity of his coming. (2 Peter 3:9)
1:4 7 literal churches in Asia minor, modern day Turkey. 7 copies would assure no tampering
1:5-6 Us, We, saved Christians, Believers.
1:7 Sandwiched between 2 "Amens" key verse from Acts 1:9-11, Matthew 24:29-30, "After the tribulation"
1:9 Companion in Tribulation. Tribulation already started, not some futuristic event. Tribulation used dozens of times in new testament, always refers to present time not future event.
1:10 In the spirit. Not dreaming, it refers to the supernatural transportation to an experience beyond normal senses.
1:12 7 candlesticks. John was writing to 7 literal churches in 7 literal cities. However, these lamp stands also represent the 7 spiritual churches that they will blossom into throughout time until the end. John will write to a living pastor of a real church, Jesus will be speaking to them as well as all of their descendants throughout history.
1) Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2)I know thy works, and they labor, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3) And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast labored, and hast not fainted.
4) Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6) But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
8) And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive,
9) I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
12) And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges,
13) I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
14) But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
15) So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
16) Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
18) And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
19) I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
20) Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that women Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21) And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
22) Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23) And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will giveunto every one of you according to your works.
24) But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
25) But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
26) And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27) AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON; AS THE VESSELS OF A POTTER SHALL THEY BE BROKEN TO SHIVERS: even as I received of my Father.
28) And I will give him the morning star.
29) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
2:1-3:22 Each church will receive warnings from Jesus pertaining to their sinful behavior, and admiration for their good works. They will also receive instructions on how they, and their descendants, should repent to avoid God's judgment. Since nobody knows the date of the Lord's return, all generations should heed these warnings.
2:2 This church exercises great discernment, and knows how to evaluate the spiritual condition of people..
2:3 This church remains faithful to the word of the Lord.
2:4 Passion for God has turned to a cold, mechanical, habit. Perfect analytical knowledge cannot replace true love of God.
2:5 God's judgment will put an end to this church.
2:6 Nicolations- False Christians who mix pagan traditions into the church.
2:7 Overcome- Become a true Christian, Born again.
2:9 Physically Jewish, but spiritually, pagans who persecute Christians. Only Jews had a synagogue. ref: Romans 2:28, Philippians 3:3, 1 John 2:22-23. God's wrath will be on Jews who deny Jesus is the son of God. The only time "Jew" is mentioned.
2:10 This church will always suffer persecution. 10 days- Leviticus 23. Spring feasts fulfilled in Jesus, Fall feasts not fulfilled yet, trumpets dead center of Jewish year, 10 days later trumpets blown represents anti Christ and great tribulation.
2:11 Overcometh- Become a true Christian. 2nd death- Spiritual death after physical death.
2:13 Living where pagans rule over them. Antipas- 1st century martyr.
2:14 Mixed with pagan practices and traditions.
2:15 Nicolations (see 2:6)
2:16 Sword of my mouth- The word of God.
2:17 Overcometh- Become a true Christian.
2:19 Last more than first- As time passes, their later deeds will be greater than their earlier deeds.
2:20 Jezebel- Pseudonym for women who seduce church members into pagan acts and idolatry. 1 Timothy 2, 1 Corinthians 14- Women shouldn't preach.
2:24 Depths of Satan- To participate in the depths of evil with the body while thinking it won't hurt the soul.
2:26 Overcometh- To become a true Christian.
1) And unto the angel of the church of Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a namethat thou livest, and art dead.
2) Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: For I have not found thy works perfect before God.
3) Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
4) Thou hast a few names even in Sardis Which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: For they are worthy.
5) He that overcometh , the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my father , and before his angels.
6) He that have an ear, let him hear what the spirit saith unto the churches.
7) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that have the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth that no man openeth;
8) I know thy works: Behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and has not denied my name.
9) Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; Behold, I will make them to come and worship before my feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10) Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11) Behold, I come quickly: Hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12) Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: And I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: And I will write upon him my new name.
13) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the spirit saith unto the churches.
14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15) I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
17) Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.
18) I councel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire , that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19) As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: Be zealous therefore , and repent.
20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21) To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my father in his throne.
22) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the spirit saith unto the churches
3:1 Thou livest, and are dead- Reputation of a great Christian church, however upon reading their hearts, Jesus finds most of them phony and un-repentant.
3:3 Come on thee as a thief- If you do not repent and stay alert, you will be left behind to face great tribulation. 1 Thessalonians 5:1-9 If they are watching, they will know.
3:4 Have not defiled their garments- Still of sound character.
3:5 Overcometh- Becomes a true Christian.
3:8 Faithful church members who live as Jesus commands.
3:9 Unbelievers will realize at the final judgment who was right and who was wrong. However, by then it will be to late to turn back.
3:10 True believers will be raptured before the worst judgments.
3:12 Overcometh- Becomes a true Christian
3:16 Lukewarm- Not on fire for God, also not an unbeliever, stuck in the middle. Calling themselves Christians, but compromising with the world system for convenience.
3:17 Claim to be a great church with all their wealth and visual prominence. However their love of God is non-existent. Wealth and the respect of mankind are more important than God.
3:19 God's judgments are proof of his love of mankind.
3:21 Overcometh- Becomes a true Christian.
1) After this I looked, and, behold, A door was opened in Heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter.
2) And immediately I was in the spirit: And, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3) And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
4) And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
5) And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire before the throne, which are the seven spirits of God.
6) and before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.
7) and the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like an flying eagle.
8) And the four beasts had each of them six wings about them; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
9) And when these beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth forever and ever,
10) the four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
11) Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created
4:1 This is not the rapture, but a command for John to be transported in the spirit to Heaven to receive revelation of future events, to warn the current church and to pass on to future generations the coming tribulation to non repentant people.
4:3 God's throne is magnificent to behold and the rainbow represents his eternal promises and covenants.
4:4 These 24 elders represent the redeemed throughout history, their worship mimics the worship due from all to God for his mercy and grace to his creation. Their joint rule and presence in the places prepared for them symbolizes our places in Heaven that have been prepared by Jesus for his true church.
4:6 Cherubim with comprehensive knowledge with knowledge and perception of the whole Earth. "Full of Eyes", nothing escapes their examination.
4:7 These creations represent the 4 of God's earthly creations. Lion-strength & power, Calf-humble service of God, Man-rational beings, Eagle-swiftness of duty.
4:10 Cast their crowns: realizing that God alone is responsible for their rewards, they strip themselves of all honor and cast it to his feet.
Back to Revelation page