1) And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
2) And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
3) And another angel came and stood at the alter, having a golden censor; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of the saints upon the golden alter that was before the throne.
4) And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
5) And the angel took the censor, and filled it with fire from the alter, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.
6) And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
7) The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
8) And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
9) And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
10) And the third angel sounded and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
11) And the name of the star is called wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
12) And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.
13) And I beheld, an angel flying in the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!
8:1 This is the awe of the judgments about to be unleashed. Since there is no passage of time in heaven, this can only be interpreted as John's guess as to the amount of time he waited for the next step as heaven's residents displayed shock and awe at the impending judgments to come.
8:2 7 trumpets signify 7 judgments that will be unleashed to get the attention of the unrepentant inhabitants of the earth. The 144,000 servants of God will be evangelizing to these people because God is not willing that any should perish but that all come to him. The first 4 will destroy earth's ecology and the final 3 will devistate earth's inhabitants.
8:3 The question of 6:10 is answered in that all their prayers are finally heard.
8:4 God himself is about to intervene and render judgment on the earth after the prayers are heard. (Rom 12:9, Deu 32:35)
8:5 Literal announcements for earth's inhabitants that something big is about to happen, a heavenly "head's up" '
8:7 Probably a supernatural act of multiple, if not all, earth's 5000 + surface and underwater volcanoes erupting at the same time. Steam and water thrown into the sky by such a catastrophe can condense into hail and mix with firey lava to appear as blood. Worldwide catastrophe, "all grass"
8:8 The phrase "something like" indicates that John is unsure what he is witnessing. Falling mountains are obviously not a common occurrance in 96 A.D. This probably refers to a meteor or asteroid so intense that it's impact will result in either red tides, caused by dead sea life, or oil deposits, that will overcome the seas with blood and destroyed ships.
8:9 33% of oceans instantly dead. Devastating.
8:10 obviously a comet, due to the phrases "star" and "burning like a torch" this comet will disintegrate as it enters our atmosphere falling on enough of our water supply to kill many people.
8:11 Wormwood: a poisonous, bitter, substance. (De 29:18, Pr 5:4, Jer 9:15, Lam 3:15)
8:12 weather these celestial bodies are reduced in brightness 33.3% or the day is 33.3% shorter is uncertain. However, the results will be unmistakable, severe changes in the temperature will result in life on earth altered dramatically, albeit temporary.
8:13 one woe for each blast, inhabitants will be directly affected as oppose to the first 4 which only affected the planet.